Built Heritage Consultants Melbourne
Dictionary of Unsung Architects   return to DUA index
HORACE J TRIBE (1908-1992)

Biographical Overview

Born in 1908, Horace James Tribe commenced his architectural career in 1924 as an articled pupil of H W & F B Tompkins, who were then involved in such major city projects as the Herald building and the expansion of the Myer department store.  Tribe also studied at the Swinburne Technical College and the University of Melbourne Architectural Atelier, where he completed a Diploma of Architectural Design in 1930.  He then took up a position with prominent modernists Stephenson & Meldrum, where he worked in both the Melbourne and Sydney offices on large hospital and industrial projects as well as the Spirit of Progress locomotive fitout.  During that period, he also worked in Melbourne as a relieving draftsman for other firms, including Oakley & Parkes (later marrying Percy Oakley's only daughter, Florence, in 1935) and Hudson & Wardrop.  In 1933, the young Tribe won a design competition for a house to cost 850; the following year, when he was admitted to the RAIA, Tribe narrowly missed out on winning the inaugural Robert & Ada Haddon Travelling Scholarship.  

In November 1938, Tribe entered into partnership with the prominent society architect Marcus Martin (1892-1981).  Styled as Marcus Martin & Tribe, the firm initially specialised in the sort of high-class residences (mostly in Toorak and South Yarra) that had characterised Martin's pre-War career; four fine examples later appeared in George Biers' Houses of Australia (1948).  Martin & Tribe also fostered an interest in buildings for social welfare, and specifically an association with the Free Kindergarten movement.  This began with a commission to design the prototypical Lady Gowrie Childcare Centre in Carlton (1939) and led on to several other suburban kindergarten projects.  
During the period 1938-39, Horace Tribe also served as Honorary Director of a committee established to increase public awareness of a better standard of residential architecture in Victoria.  The work of this committee was interrupted by the Second World War and did not resumed until 1947, when it resulted in the creation of the celebrated Small Homes Service of the RVIA, with Robin Boyd as its first Director.  

The Second World War also interrupted the partnership of Marcus Martin & Tribe.  The latter partner enlisted with the RAAF in May 1942 and served at Station HQ, Laverton, until he was discharged, with the
rank Flight Lieutenant, in August 1945.  He then worked as a technical adviser to the Commonwealth Directorate of Housing before re-joining Marcus Martin in private practice.  He was evidently elevated to the status of full partner, as the firm was subsequently known simply as Martin & Tribe.  The reunion, however, proved short-lived, as the partnership was dissolved in mid-1949 when Tribe resigned to open his own office.  Outstanding commissions that had been received by the partnership were subsequently divided amongst the two men, who completed them under their own names: Martin finished off the Gordon Boys' Home in Highett and two kindergartens in Burwood and Fitzroy, while Tribe carried on with the Robert Cochrane Kindergarten in Auburn and some additions to a holiday camp in Ringwood East.  On completion, the former project was much lauded in the press as a prototype for truly modern kindergarten design in Australia; it was included in D C Ward's Guide to Victorian Architecture, and was even published  overseas in the pages of the US-based Architectural Forum.  In his newly-launched sole practice, Horace Tribe went on to become the state's leading specialist in the design of modern pre-school centres, with examples as far afield as Swan Hill and Korumburra.

In 1955, it was noted in Architecture & Arts journal that Tribe maintained "an extensive practice in pre-school and preventive health services, good quality domestic work and industrial buildings".  During this period, he also served as architect to the South Melbourne City Council, in which capacity he
undertook various projects include the design of a children's play centre and the remodelling of the public library and the Trugo Club premises.  During this peak period of his career, Tribe was also very active in professional bodies, serving as vice-president of the VASS and as Chairman of Committees to the RVIA Council.  In 1953, he was one of more than 2,000 prominent Victorians to be awarded the Queen's Coronation Medal for their services to the community.

Horace Tribe retired from active practice around 1970, but he maintained his registration as an architect until his death in 1992.
 In retirement, he compiled a memoir of his role in the development of the Small Homes Service, entitled The Small Homes Service of the RVIA: Some Recollections of its Genesis and Establishment.


Select List of Projects

Martin & Tribe (1946 to 1949)
1946



1947

1948



1949

Residence, Belmore Road, Balwyn North
Gordon Boys' Home, Port Nepean Road, Highett
Additions to Kindergarten Training College, Kew
Pre-School Centre for Victorian Deaf & Dumb Institution, Elgar Road, Burwood
Group housing for ARC Corporation, Albion
Free Kindergarten & Infant Welfare Centre for City of Port Melbourne, Fishermens Bend
Residence for Mrs E S van Staten, Anderson Street, South Yarra
Residence for Mrs H F Creswick, Albany Road, Toorak
Residence for K Syme, Lisbuoy Road, Toorak
Residence for D S McKinnon, Beaufort
Isabel Henderson Free Kindergarten, Green Reserve, Fitzroy
Alterations and additions to Ware Holiday Home, Ringwood East

Horace J Tribe (1949 onwards)
1949-50
1950




1951
1953





1954




1955

1958?
1959
1960
1962-63

Robert Cochrane Free Kindergarten, Minona Street, Auburn
Colac Free Kindergarten, Gilmartin Street, Colac
Playroom at Yooralla Hospital School Balwyn Road, Balwyn
Residence (for self?), Springvale Road, Mitcham
Residence for a Doctor, Keam Street, Ivanhoe
Residence for a Doctor, Kidds Road, Dandenong
Manager's Residences for ES&A Bank, Blackburn and Mitcham
Residence, Beleura Hill, Mornington
Residence, Tarrawarra
Ringwood Free Kindergarten, Greenwood Avenue, Ringwood
Deepdene Park Free Kindergarten, Deepdene
Pre-School & Infant Welfare Centre, Splatt Street, Swan Hill
Pre-School & Infant Welfare Centre, Victoria and Bridport Sts, Daylesford
Alys Key Emergency Nursery, Forest Hill
Hughesdale Free Kindergarten, Freda Street, Hughesdale
Pre-School and Infant Welfare Centre, Victoria Street, Korumburra
Alterations to South Melbourne General Library, South Melbourne
Pre-School & Infant Welfare Centre, Richardson and Nimmo Streets, Middle Park
Children's Play Centre for the City of South Melbourne
Office and warehouse for J C Hutton Pty Ltd, 65 High Street, Preston [demolished]
Remodelling of premises for South Melbourne Trugo Club, Howe Crescent, South Melbourne
Office building for L & H Lasky Pty Ltd, 62 Lygon Street, Carlton  [demolished]
Flats for Elann Pty Ltd, Pleasant Road, Hawthorn
Foreshore redevelopment (ablution blocks, clubrooms) for City of South Melbourne

Horace Tribe
Horace Tribe in the early 1950s
(
source: Architecture & Arts; Reeves Collection)


Housing for ARC Corporation Albion
Group housing for ARC Corporation, Albion (1947)
(
source:Australian Home Beautiful; Reeves Collection)


Van Staten Residence South Yarra
Mrs E S van Staten Residence, South Yarra (1948)
(
source: G Biers, Houses of Australia; Reeves Collection)


Robert Cochrane Free Kindergarten
Robert Cochrane Free Kindergarten, Auburn (1949-50)
(photograph by Simon Reeves, Built Heritage Pty Ltd)



H C Hutton Factory Preston
J C Hutton Factory, High Street, Preston (1955)
(
source: Architecture & Arts; Reeves Collection)

top